Key Benefits of Attending:
- Be confident standing in front of a group, knowing you can create an amazing learning opportunity.
- Learn how to use activities and games to increase learning and understanding.
- How to use a simple, natural format in your debrief to move the discussion from 'What happened?' to 'What are we going to do differently moving forward?'
- Practice facilitation techniques with interactive feedback and coaching.
- Gain experience ACTUALLY running activities with a group.
- Meet other freakishly awesome people who come to these workshops.
- Facilitation is a ‘Life’ skill that can be used in every aspect of your life!
More Details Below
What do I Receive?
- Two and a half days of professional experiential facilitation training with our Founder and CEO, James Carter
- One year membership in The DIY Team Center - continually updated information on activities, resources, tools, training and techniques
- Bound copy of Effective Facilitators Handbook
- Attendance at our Effective Facilitator Training as many times as you like!
- Discounts when purchasing our products.
- Eligibility to help facilitate as a Be Legendary Facilitator at our engagements.
- Copy of 'Roadmap to Success', authored by James Carter, Deepak Chopra and Ken Blanchard
- Copy of 'Discover Your Inner Strength', authored by James Carter, Stephen Covey, Ken Blanchard, Brian Tracy and others.
- A fun environment to learn and test your skills.
- Learn with the activities and tools we use in our own workshops and programs.
What Will I Learn?
- The Single Most Important Responsibility of a Great Facilitator
- The Single Most Abused Role of a Poor Facilitator
- The Greatest Challenge of all Facilitators
- How to ask the right questions and avoid the poor ones
- How to select, setup, execute and process a successful activity
- Facilitative behaviors of a professional facilitator
- How to overcome resistance, seek clarity and intervene in the right situations.
- How to diffuse negativity in small groups.
Specific Program Objectives
As a result of your participation in this program, you will:
- Become familiar with a simple, practical framework for designing and leading effective meeting, group planning sessions and other facilitated events.
- Understand and be able to use a range of strategies and techniques for developing and maintaining consensus.
- Learn skills to deal with disruptive, difficult meeting behaviors and dominating team members.
- Develop an increased ability to support organizational change.
- Gain an increased sense of confidence and leave energized to take on a greater leadership role within your organization.
Setting the Foundation
- Understand what a facilitated session is and when to use (or not use).
- Identify the benefits and critical success factors related to facilitation.
Facilitate the Process
- Open the session
- Apply session methods and techniques such as icebreakers, information gathering, categorizing, prioritizing, and energizing.
- Maintain focus on the desired outcome.
- Engage participants.
- Record the session results.
- Close the session.
Facilitate Yourself, Self Leadership
- Self-assess performance.
- Maintain neutrality.
- Facilitate or lead when you’re the boss.
- Understand problem solving and decision-making models, when and how to use them.
Facilitate the Event, Leading a Learning Experience
- Define the session objectives, deliverables, participants, and roles and responsibilities.
- Identify room layout, equipment, and supplies requirements.
- Create a session agenda and detailed facilitator’s agenda.
Facilitate the Group, Leading Others
- Understand and apply communication techniques such as active listening, inclusiveness, playback, physical and verbal interventions, and consensus building.
- Understand and manage group behavior and group dynamics.
What will we do?
- Facilitate and process an activity from start to finish.
- Primarily focus on facilitating learning opportunities to learn skills.
- Learn how to effectively debrief in a group setting.
- Receive feedback from participants and professionals about your facilitation.
- Spend very little time in classroom-style learning. This about experiential learning, so we will experience!
- This will be an active workshop in which you will not only learn from a professional facilitator, not only participate in actual activities, but also RUN the activities and DEBRIEF a real activity.
We leave the agenda details open for the very same reason we do not facilitate with an agenda, we will leave the learning up to you! While there are certain ‘classroom’ elements that will, and must, occur to give everyone a baseline of knowledge, you will help direct which elements receive the most attention.However, there are a few items that WILL occur during those two days:
- You WILL learn how to run and debrief activities.
- You WILL facilitate and process an activity from start to finish.
- You WILL receive feedback from participants and professionals about your facilitation.
You will begin at 8:30 AM and end at 5:30 PM, unless the group changes it onsite. You will have some time to eat, but we are not exactly sure when. There will be breaks, but when the group decides we need one!
Who Is This Workshop For?
Effective Facilitator is open for anyone who wants to lead a great learning experience, facilitate meetings or has a need for experiential learning.
Small business owners, trainers, current facilitators, consultants, educators and pastors are all very common to find in this workshop.
Those eligible to apply are leaders from:
- State and Local Governments
- 501(c)(3) Non-Profits Organizations
- NGOs and INGOs
Seats for scholarships are limited and based on individual need, type of organization, and program availability.