Preparing the group for a great experience takes some planning and preparation.
They will be walking into the room with all kinds of baggage:
- Will we have to role-play?
- How many phone calls am I going to miss?
- Is this going to be boring?
- Traffic is going to be hell going home tonight! When are we getting out of here?
- I have so much work to do, I don’t have time for this.
- Here we go again…
- How many times are we going to cover the same crap?
- How much more stuff can I make up?
There are many different ways to get a group in the right frame of mind before coming to the workshop.
You can help prepare the group by front loading the workshop, activity or experience.
Addressing some concerns right in the beginning, depending upon the potential baggage, is a VERY good idea. My biggest failures in facilitation have come from me not asking enough questions to understand where the group is coming from and facing.